Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Joy of Obedience

We have this phrase as Christians that says, "If God calls me to that, I will never do it!" or, "I pray that God never calls me there..."

Be careful what you pray for, because God might just do the opposite.

Once I told God I never wanted to go to college. I told people that if God called me to college, I would hate it, and I probably wouldn't go. That was before I knew him well.
Two years ago when I told God those things, He knew that just two short years later he would call me to college. And that is what makes him so good. He met me exactly where I was at.
My heart that was filled with wander and a deep lust to travel this whole world, he met. My heart that said it was fine and knew God so well, He took. And in those moments where He met me in my deepest need and my deepest desire, I fell in love with JESUS.
The beauty of God is how He takes our hearts and molds us and shapes us without the slightest knowledge.
While I was off gallivanting across the world, I gave my heart to Jesus. I told him He can have my heart and take it wherever he wants. (In secret hopes that he would send me back.)
And as he healed my heart, he put it back together with some new and greater desires.

Two years later, I'm in college. By choice. In joy. I never would have thought those words would come out of my heart. But the joy that comes in obedience blossoms out of following Christ whole-hearted.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

We think this verse means that God will give us all we want. But the first half, delight yourself in the Lord, As we do that task, as we delight in him, as I delighted in him, the desires of my heart became God's desires.

And now, as I go to school and work and live the busiest schedule I have known, The joy of following Christ became a joy in obedience. And it frightens me to admit that my dreams are changing too. My desires are morphing to something more holy, something more fearful.
The direction of my dreams are completely different then they were 2 years ago, but that's the beauty and the joy that comes out of knowing Christ. He is so good to me. He is so good to us.
I sat across the table from my friend the other week and she told me how God is taking her on a completely different route then she ever would have imagined. It's because she has delighted herself in the Lord. God's desires have become hers.








No comments:

Post a Comment