Monday, November 16, 2015

Be Holy, for I am Holy

"Be holy, for, I am holy."

There was no trespassing on holy ground with a call to remove my sandals. There was no loud thunder and bright lightning and clouds covering a mountaintop. There was no burning coal touched to my lips to purify me.

There was only God.

And he asked of me the simplest of tasks. Just one week for him. Who knew it could be so hard to give up social media and things that do not glorify Him?

The words within the passage that has brought such comfort, the words within the passage that says, "You have been called to be born again to a living hope... to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading...in this you rejoice, though you have been grieved by various trials...so that the tested genuineness of your faith-more precious than gold...though you do not see him you love him...you were ransomed...so that your faith and hope are in God. (1 Peter 1-- I encourage you to read the whole thing, this is only captions of the gem.)

It is within this passage that quotes the Book we all dread: Leviticus.

In this book of laws and stipulations and strange rules about discharges and what to do if your cow kills a person, there is a resounding theme, "I am holy." Why does it matter if I eat pig or grasshoppers? "Because I am holy." Why does it matter if I take 66 days instead of 54 days to cleanse myself after giving birth to a girl? "Because I am holy."

Obviously these laws are not in effect any longer, but the message is. God is still holy. The reason He called the Hebrews to such strange rules that we will never understand in this culture, was to call them to be different from their surroundings. He was calling them to be his nation, holy and royal. If they did not look different, how would they be a blessing to those around them??

"Be holy, for I am holy."
The words leaped off the page. All the things God showed me this week as I sacrificed something that has clearly become an idol began to make sense.
 Don't gossip. Why? Because it hurts his heart. Because He is holy.
Be vulnerable. Why? Because he has called me to be different, free. Because he is holy.
Love. Why? Because he is holy.

Maybe it has taken too long to understand, but Romans 12:1-2 says "Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed but the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

I don't have to offer sacrifices of burnt offerings anymore, because Jesus covered my sin and because my life is my living sacrifice. Do not be conformed to this world, God says.

Why?
"Because I am holy."

1 comment: