Saturday, November 21, 2015

Love Earnestly

I had done the unthinkable. I was touching the untouchable. And she smiled.
In that moment there were no cultural differences. It did not matter who she was, or where she had come from, it only mattered that she was loved.





We had just ended our church service in a small brick room in India. I looked around and my team members were talking to and praying with the congregants. As my eyes swept across the room, they almost passed a tiny little old lady in a red Sari. I was compelled to go to her.
I sat down next to her on the hard floor without a translator. 

This small woman immediately started speaking in Tamil. As I listened, she touched her hands and her arms and her legs and her face.
She had tumors all over her body. I don't know if that qualified her as a leper, or if it just made the people not come near, but she was lonely and unloved.
As she spoke, she took my hand and placed it to her face. I whispered one of the few Indian words I knew, "Alagou." -- "You are beautiful." I continued to brush my fingers along her bumpy legs and arms. She pulled her Sari above her knees and showed me more. 

When I finally got a translator to come to me, I shared with her the story of the woman who touched Jesus' garment and was healed. I told her that Jesus saw her as valuable and important. She pulled me close for a hug and didn't let go. 



Recently, I haven't been able to get the memory out of my head. A prayer I don't understand has been swelling in my heart.
The world right now is in chaos. And by some beautiful act of God, the world is coming to our doorsteps. And maybe I'm just another voice to fall silent on the conversation of refugees and borders.
But I want the refugees to come. If I can't go to them, because of closed doors and life circumstance, maybe they will come to us. Maybe God has finally had enough of our excuses to not go to these unreached people groups and He brought them to us.
How beautiful is that? How wonderful is He?

When I was given the opportunity to love this women, it did not cross my mind that maybe she was alone for a reason, maybe she was a leper, maybe her disease was contagious. In the same way, we ought not to be afraid of the people fleeing terror. We need only love.
My hope and my prayer is that when I meet a refugee, I won't be fearful, instead I will give them all my love as Jesus did. I pray that as a Christian, I will faithfully live up to the call of Christ, to love the orphans, care for the widows, touch the untouchables.
Sure, they are different.
Sure, they see the world differently then me.
Sure, I do not understand the pain they have endured.
But I have Jesus.

And if he is going to bring these people to us, then let Him be Sovereign.
Who am I to question God and beg him not to bring His image to us? Who am I to tell God, this will put me in danger? Who am I when Jesus says, "pray for those who persecute you. Bless and do not curse."
I wonder, are we blessing?
or are we cursing?
We have been blessed, has it been enough for us to learn how to give it in return?

This is not a matter of politics, it is a matter of the heart. If you afraid, tell the Lord. If you are withholding due to selfishness, confess. Then thank the Lord for this beautiful opportunity to give the Gospel to the world in your own backyard.

1 Peter 4:7-13
"The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self controlled and sober minded for the sake of your prayers. Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves as one who serves by the strength that God supplies - in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To Him belong glory and dominion forever. Amen.
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed."


1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful Leah!! You are a talented writer 💞

    ReplyDelete