Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pride, Filthy Rags and Surrender

How often am I prideful? How often does my heart covet after things I don't have? How often have I stolen Christ's crown, his glory, for my own. I hold his crown and take the things that define me.The things I place on the alter of self. "Look, God, look at my gifts I bring you." He looks me in the eyes and says "filthy rags."
"But God, don't you see what I've done for you, how I changed their life?"
"Filthy Rags."
I steal his glory and offer it to Him like I have something good to bring. Something that will benefit our relationship. He says, "Filthy Rags."
Everything I try to bring is a filthy rag. Every heart I think I change, I steal his glory. Who am I to take it?
As I'm laying on the cross, hands ready to be driven with nails. Jesus comes and lifts me up, lays himself down and says, "Child, watch."
I watch as my sins nail him to the cross. I watch as my sin, the sin of stealing Christ's own glory, I watch as He dies in my place. I'm in a place of endless forgiveness, as I watch the things I did carelessly, the friends I hurt recklessly, all the sins I've done lain upon my Savior and He says "I forgive you. I want none of your filthy rags, they are nothing to me. I want none of the things you think you have to offer. I want an empty you, so I can fill you up. You will be righteous only by my blood. Let me soften your heart."
This leads to the surrender.
God will bring up hurts in your life you thought you had healed from. It will be hard. Today, through strange circumstances, God brought up pain I had suppressed. He let me grieve. I'm not sure I cried harder than I did today. All my unanswered questions came out and I asked 'Why?'
This is going to be a season of surrender. It's going to be a season of confronting the hard things, the convicting things. But it will be worth it. God will show me things like pride, I never thought I'd need to confront. He will walk me through grief. He will transform me.

1 comment:

  1. Leah! This is very beautiful! God is so full of love for you and wants to lavish you with it! He wants to love you through the pain and the sin!

    ReplyDelete