Tuesday, December 30, 2014

It's All Part Of The Adventure

I sat in the windowsill running my fingers along the thick strings of an unfamiliar guitar, pretending I was expressing my heart through music as I've never been able to do. The clouds outside the window were dreary and cars lazily passed below me. The moment felt nostalgic. How many strange homes have I been in? Homes larger than this one, homes tinier than my bedroom. How many buildings have my feet stepped in. I've been thousands of feet above the ground over looking cities in large skyscrapers and I have climbed mountains and watched the people as they passed as ants beneath my eyes. I have felt minuscule in comparison to the stars as galaxies float above my head, I've been on top of the world when the Creator of the Universe, comes down from Heaven and says my name, so gently, so filled with love. I've felt the weight of tragedy, I've sat cross-legged drinking chai in homes down dirt roads no one knows exists and heard stories of people who just needed hope. I've poured my heart out on children who don't know love. My life has been fairly beautiful up until this point, and I have concluded that I am blessed beyond words, grateful beyond feeling.
In just one year I have made friends from all over the world. India. Nicaragua. Mexico. Holland. Russia.
I have friends that no one knows exist. I've met beautiful people to whom I was the first white person they ever laid eyes on. I've learned languages and given Bibles to people who never owned one. I've touched a woman with tumors covering her skin. I've held the hands of orphans and told them about the love of Jesus.
I have traveled roughly 4,389 miles to and from Louisville, to North Carolina twice, Tennesee and Virginia. I have flown 37,584 miles to and from India and 10,248 miles to and from Nicaragua. (Yes I did just take the time to calculate that for about 15 minutes.)
Let's just say, I've been a lot of places. I've done a lot of things. The thing I can't get over is

that's just one year.

In one year, Jesus took me on the greatest adventure of my life. Yet He promises, "We're not done yet."

Recently my adventure has slowed down a little, I'm back and grounded in Lancaster County. I'm nannying for 4 adorable children.
A few weeks ago, my three year old had left a teddy bear at the library. We forgot Buzzy in a whirlwind of trying to get the kids in the car in a torrential downpour that had decided not to stop.
I couldn't go back.
I emailed my kid's mom and let her know we forgot and I felt terrible.
And she said something that struck me.
She said,

 "It's all part of the adventure."

My first thought was to contradict that statement. This is not an adventure! It's mundane, it's daily and grueling. Oh, but this is part of the adventure.
Miss Word Girl over here looked up the etymology of the word. (How proud my 7th grade history teacher would be.)

Adventure: the encountering of risks.
                an exciting or remarkable experience

But then I decided to break it down further and make my own definition.

Advent: a coming into being or use
ure: the act or process

Therefore, the adventurer is the one who is performing the act of coming into being.
That definition is beautiful.
I'm an adventurer because I am forever learning the art of coming alive. Jesus is teaching me what it means to come alive. I don't know if this means as much to you as it does to me. But for me, it's a promise. It's a promise from Jesus telling me, "Leah, we're still on this adventure together. Grand things are still happening. The journey isn't over yet. A new year is coming. The adventure will continue."
In remembering this past year and the adventure I have embarked on, whether it has been playing duck duck goose in the middle of a dirt path and having to move because of cows. Or laying on the hard floor of a church because we drove 8 hours to share our hearts with 6 youth. Or shouting the banana song at the top of our lungs to a group of over 100 women just to share with them about Jesus.
Or now, sitting on the carpet with my 2 and 3 year olds and playing with them. It's all part of the adventure.
It's all about coming alive. It's all about my sanctification of becoming more like Jesus. It's all to know Him and make Him known.
The adventure doesn't have to be thousands of miles away. It doesn't have to be road trips with your best friends, and running through an airport so you don't miss your flight. The adventure doesn't have to be about rediculous stories that will make you laugh for years to come. The adventure isn't even about the mundane.
The adventure is about being obedient to a call that is bigger than you. And being faithful to the One that loves you bigger than the Universe. That's the adventure.
So as this year comes to a close, all I want to do is whisper "Thank you," to my Savior and Best Friend who knows the plans He has for me, and is about to take me on an even greater adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment