Friday, October 4, 2013

Deer, Getting Lost and Rainbows

Today during my quiet time, God taught me so much.
I was taking a walk in a new neighborhood I haven't explored yet (by the way, the neighborhood I live in is SO rich. One person has a tennis/basketball court in their backyard.) So yeah, when I wasn't getting distracted by the super big, gorgeous houses, this is what God taught me:
As I was walking I saw 4 deer in someone's front yard. I then thought of Psalm 42.
As the deer pants for flowing streams,
so pants my soul for you, Oh God.
God's already been teaching me and showing me all week how I need to be desperate for Him. As a deer pants for the water, as a dehydrated man searches endlessly for water, so my soul must thirst for God, the Giver of Living Water.
My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God.
How often am I desperate for God, or do I just long for the things He offers me? I want to be in a place where I am desperately pursuing the Word of God, devouring it like I've been fasting for days.
Deep calls to deep,
at the roar of your waterfalls;
all your breakers and your waves
have gone before me.
By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me,
a prayer to the God of my life.
 By day, God commands his love for me. His unchanging Spirit. He commands it to me so that I won't lose it during the hectic days. By night, his song is within me to remind me, faithfully, that His love never fails, even when it's dark. Even when the only thing I hear is the distant song that He gives to me in the dry seasons, the tragic seasons, and the broken. His song becomes my prayer in the night.

As I was walking in the unfamiliar neighborhood, I kept turning on new roads, and eventually realized I needed to head back but not to sure how to get there. I ran into a kind lady who thankfully explained to me how to get back to my road. Through this God showed me my need for people in my life to guide me through. I get so caught up in the roads I go on, I get starstruck by the fancy things, and lose direction. But God gives us people in our lives to direct us and guide us for a season. I must learn not to turn down the offers of help and love.

The last thing that God showed me was a rainbow. No rain, sun was shining, and there was a rainbow. Rainbows have always had significant meaning in my life. God was promising me something, He was promising me that even though it's sunny and life is wonderful, His promises are still relevant in my life. He will still be ever with me through what I must learn to walk through in the next few months. He will hold my heart as I walk through unfaced emotions and unfelt pain. He promises so that I can trust.

So yeah, this week has been great. We've been learning about relationships, which is amazing. God is teaching me that I need to learn how to have friendships with guys. Also, he has just been reminding me why I made my commitment to purity so many years ago. I wish I could have you hear the teachings I've heard this week, because it really makes me understand why God wants such a union saved only for marriage. He puts a protective circle around married couples which the devil can't get into unless the couple allows it. But so much hurt and heartache comes in without the protective circle. We've been learning that God made attraction, and about the words in the Bible for sexual immorality such as lasciviousness, concupiscence and fornication. These words mean lust and preoccupied by the opposite sex, and to stir up desires in yourself that cannot be fulfilled righteously.
I've been building some amazing friendships with some amazing girls. God is really just teaching me so much this week. I love it. Today I went to my first prom. It was a prom for mentally disabled people and we just got to dance with them and love on them. It was so fun.
 I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment